Columns

Hello

Has anyone at a typ loading dock (footing 5'-0" below finish floor) taken the
column down to the top of the footing instead of using a pier?  We typically
would put the column on a pier but would not tie the pier to the slab other
than pouring the slab over the pier.  Looking at it the only real problem I
see is that the column needs to be encased in concrete for corrosion
protection.  It may change the K value of the column also.  Is there anything
else I am missing?  Any opinions?  This is a ordinary moment frame in zone 2A
and 80 mph winds.

Thanks,

Mike