RE: Seismic Recurrence Intervals

I am not sure, but I believe that you mean FEMA 302, "1997 Edition NEHRP
Recommended Provisions for Seismic Regulations for New Buildings and Other
Structures".  If that is not the FEMA document that you have, you need it.
I would also recommend FEMA 303 (pp 287 - 337), which is the commentary
section that goes through the maps.

I would resist designing to 1000 year mean recurrence interval.  Minimum
life safety is defined at the 2% in 50 (2500 year mean recurrence interval).
You might find that there is a performance expectation based on the 1000
year mean recurrence interval.  I don't mind have enhanced performance for a
lower probability event, but I would oppose using a lower probability as a
basis for life safety.

Regards,
Harold Sprague