RE: Seismic Recurrance Intervals

The FEMA 303 Commentary to the NEHRP Recommended Provisions for
Seismic Regulations for New Buildings and Other Structures (Sec.
4.1.1) contains a more complete discussion of the MCE ground motion
parameters.  For most of the U.S., the MCE values have a 2%
probability of exceedance in 50 years (2475 yr m.r.i., noted 2%/50).
However, near many known faults the values are lower because they are
based on 150% of the median deterministic ground motion.  At such
locations the mean recurrence interval is less than 2475
years--sometimes much less.

The shape of ground shaking hazard curves vary considerably across the
U.S.  FEMA 273 provides an approximate way to calculate the ground
shaking hazard parameters for probabilities of exceedance other than
those provided on the maps(MCE and 10%/50).  If you are charged with
designing for an earthquake with a recurrence interval of about 1000
years, the 5%/50 motion is probably intended (975 yr m.r.i.).  Rather
than using the FEMA 273 approximate method, I would use the
probabilistic values provided by USGS (2%/50, 5%/50, 10%/50)at
http://geohazards.cr.usgs.gov/eq/

If the design is based on 5%/50 ground motions, it may or may not
satisfy the 2000 IBC (since 5%/50 motions may be less than 2/3 of
2%/50 motions at some locations).

Michael Valley, P.E., S.E.                   E-mail: mtv(--nospam--at)skilling.com
Skilling Ward Magnusson Barkshire Inc.              Tel:(206)292-1200
1301 Fifth Ave, #3200,  Seattle  WA 98101-2699      Fax:        -1201