Diaphragm deflection for plywood floor

A building official friend of mine asked me to look at a set of house plans.  Is concern was lack of shear walls at the front of the garage.  Looking at the calculations the engineer is cantilevering the plywood floor diaphragm 20 feet to the garage back wall.  The diaphragm shear stresses are 580 plf (wind controlled).  There is a second story on top of the garage.  I told the building official to tell the engineer to verify the drift is within the UBC requirements.  My questions is, am I asking to much for verifying the drift?  Also this same engineer told the building official that since he was stamping the plans he did not have to meet the 3 1/2 to 1 height to width ratio for plywood shear walls.  I said BS.
Your comments are much appreciated.  Thanks
Ed Jonson