Re: Fire repairs to Glulam Beams

Can anyone direct me to information on the pros and cons of various repairs
that can be done to restore the strength of a fire-damaged glulam beam?  The
beam that I am evaluating has lost about 10 percent of its section modulus
over a distance of about 12 feet, about 12 feet from the end.  The beam is a
6 3/4 by 33, and spans 45 feet between supports.

I have looked into the possibility of using a carbon/epoxy composite
laminate, and aluminum sandwich core that is bonded to the beam.  We are also
looking at a post-tension system.  Client wants to evaluate bolting steel
plates to the GLB, and we are also looking at bolting wood (probably GLB) to
the existing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for any help you can send.

Steve Helfrich, P.E.