Re: Wood Exposed for 5 Months During Construction

You guys lead sheltered lives.  Those of us that do forensic work, routinely
encounter water intrusion/decay catastrophes.  The most comprehensive report I
seen to date is a 1998 Canadian study:
http://qp.gov.bc.ca/condo/index.htm#contents
These problems are always the result of water intusion/entrapment into
completed buildings.  As soon as the water is gone the decay stops.  You'll
need to check the structural condition of the material, but I'd be surprised if
you find much degradation.  M.C. less than 19% is nice, but around here it's
not uncommon to encounter 25-30% in new wood.  APA says OSB swelling isn't a
problem in their tests.  I've done some small scale tests that suggest
otherwise--if  you have highly loaded shearwalls.
Once you weed out the obvious damage, if the building gets completed with
careful attention to waterproofing details (very uncommon), it will probably be
much better than the average residence.
Chuck Utzman, P.E.