Re: Lightweight Concrete

Lightweight concrete is available here in the Detroit area.  It does cost
more than normal weight concrete, but this cost increase is offset by
using less concrete to achieve the same fire rating.

According to a contractor on a current project, normal weight concrete in
the Detroit area is about $70 per cubic yard and lightweight concrete is
about $100-110 per cubic yard.

Lightweight is commonly used in the Detroit area for composite slabs on
metal deck.

Hope this helps,

Scott Maxwell, PE, SE