From: Peder and/or Cathy Golberg [mailto:golberg(--nospam--at)e-z.net]
Sent: Sunday, July 09, 2000 11:06 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Lightweight Concrete

I have a question for this list, especially for the Southern California
folks.

In reading through various steel floor deck catalogs (Verco, BHP Steel,
etc.), they all contain multiple tables for slabs with light-weight
concrete fill.  The strength and fire rating are very appealing along
with
the overall weight when compared to normal weight concrete.

Most of my previous projects have been in the Portland, Oregon area.  I
have been told that the one local (60 miles away) quarry that produced
light-weight shale aggregate has long been "dried up" and to not even
think
about specifying this concrete on any of our regional projects.  I was
also
told that even when this aggregate was available, it was very expensive
and
not commonly used.

I am now working on some hotels in the North Los Angles area and started

wondering if light-weight concrete is readily available in other parts
of
the country and if so, what type of price increase would be expected
compared to normal weight concrete?  It seems that with the higher
seismic
loads of California, this type of mix has greater chance of being cost
effective.

Anyone care to respond with information on lightweight concrete
availability along with any bad (or good) experiences using this for
slabs
on metal deck?

Thanks in advance

Peder Golberg, P.E.