...no subject...

Can   someone  help  me  with  this  please ,   thanks  in  advance.

AISC, ASD Ninth Edition/LRFD 1St Edition, Volume II - Connections :

Referring to Specifications Section K which says: "The occurrence of full
design wind or earthquake loads is too infrequent to warrant consideration
in fatigue design.", goes on to say -(p 1-11) "Consequently, slip critical
connections are not normally required or used by engineers for wind or
seismic loads for buildings."

However - AISC's Seismic Provisions, dated April, 1997, section 7.2.a says:
 "Connections may use bearing values, but nevertheless - the faying
surfaces are to be a minimum of Class A friction condition."

This seems somewhat of a contradiction to me, but the requirements are
clearly stated.

Anyone having some insight into why AISC would require a friction capacity
faying surface for bolts intended to withhold their seismic load via
bearing - I would like to hear it.

Thankyou

Arvind  Bisarya
Phone  314  -  539  -  0471
Fax       314  -  539  -  8321
E - Mail       arvind_bisarya(--nospam--at)mk.com

**This message was created in BeyondMail. Please ignore the ATTRIBS.BND
attachment if you are not a BeyondMail user.