RE: Metric Steel Shapes

Peter

There are two systems of units that are used in the USA.  In one the pound
is a unit of mass and in the other the pound is a unit of force with the
unit of mass being a slug.  Engineering calculations almost always assume
the pound as a unit of force.  I had to come to grips with this when using
MATHCad which assumes that the pound is a unit of mass and unless you
redefine the units you won't get the right result if you specify the units.

There appear to be some who assume the metric sizes are different that the
sizes specified with imperial units.  I believe you will find that they are
actually the same piece of steel specified in two different systems of
units.  If you look at the metric sizes used in Great Britain or the United
States and convert them to imperial dimensions I think that this will be
obvious.

Mark Gilligan

>Why change mass to force (kg to N) to convert back to
mass??????

Unless I missed something all these years, lb/ft of the beam is
mass per foot length...not pound force per foot......

(I am really starting to miss the metric system.....sob...sob...)

Peter McCormack
<