From: Charlie Carter [mailto:carter(--nospam--at)aiscmail.com]
Sent: July 12, 2000 11:05 AM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: Metric Steel Shapes

>Obviously (for the S100x11 metric = an S4x7.7 imperial) the
>100 is millimeters which is approximately 4 inches.
>But how does the 11 relate to 7.7 plf?

11 kilograms per meter is equivalent to 7.7 pounds per foot. The metric
series uses mass (not weight) per meter in the designator. In the U.S.
customary system gravity is applied (changing mass to weight) and the length
measurement changes as well to feet. The conversions for mass to weight and
meters to feet results in a divisor of 1.5 to get from metric to U.S.
customary units.

Charlie