From: Fredericks, Douglas/SAC [mailto:DFreder1(--nospam--at)CH2M.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2000 7:05 PM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: Metric Steel Shapes

On the first metric job we did, I estimated the rebar weight and
converted
it from english (good old lbf) into Newtons.  Made sense to me - switch
force for force.  Luckily someone caught it before it went out.  Then I
got
to thinking about how metric scales (like a bathroom scale) read out in
kg,
even though they are really measuring a force on a spring and converting
the
force by a standard g value (I suppose 9.81m/s^2) to get mass.

So....If you had a $1,000,000 steel job you would save $250 if you
bought
the steel in Denver Colorado rather than in San Francisco CA, right?