Re: w/c ratio after concrete set

At 09:30 PM 7/12/00 -0700, you wrote:
>In So. Cal. the addition of water on-site is shown on the ready-mix
>ticket.
If the contractor asks for more water, the driver just turns the valve and
the damage is done. You would have to park yourself beside the truck for
every pour.

>PCA used to test concrete as you have questioned but the cost is
>prohibitive I believe. Is there something wrong performance-wise with the
>concrete?

We are trying create a Master Spec that will ensure that we get what we ask
for with minimal chances for error. A slab was poured with 10 times the
amount of retarder. The concensus of everybody I have talked to is that for
flatwork we should avoid retarder all together as it can lead to problems
like this even when the dosage is a little closer to the right amount. It
was not in our spec, but now is noted that it shall not be used.

>If high quality concrete is needed, full time inspection/job observation
>is needed.

The owner is very particular, and has every right to be. All contractors
are invited and are aware that standards are higher than normal. It is not
that the concrete is high quality (normal good quality is sufficient),
however, the final job has to be high quality. Full time inspection would
not have solved this particular problem.

>Stan Scholl, P. E.

David Handy, P.Eng.
dhandy(--nospam--at)trg.ca
The Thompson Rosemount Group, Cornwall, Ont. Canada
Opinions expressed are personal only.