From: Scott E Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2000 9:10 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: UL numbers for mechanical deck attachment

Albert,

For the roof assemblies, the UL numbers would be (basically 1.5" deck
with cementious spray-on fire proofing and rigid insulation for a 1 hour
rating):

P701
P711
P715
P717

For the floor assemblies, the UL numbers would be (basically 2"
composite
deck with 4.5" of NW concrete and NO fireproofing on the slab for a 2 hr
rating):

D902
D916
D918
D919

Also conisdering 2" deck plus 3.25" LW concrete & no fireproofing for a
2
hour rating.

We looking all of them up in the 1997 UL book and all were welds.  I bet
you the quarter that I have in my pocket that they haven't changed.

I also talked to a manufacturer of an air actuated fastener and he knew
of
NO mechanical fasteners approved by UL in their approved assemblies.

Thanks,

Scott Maxwell, PE, SE

On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, Albert Meyer wrote:

> Scott-
>
> I've just looked at a number of assemblies in the 1999 UL book and all
> that I've seen show puddle welds, but if you have any specific
assembly
> numbers I can check to see if they include fasteners in lieu of welds.
>
> Albert J. Meyer, Jr., P.E.
> Martin-Espenlaub Engineering

This