RE: UL numbers for mechanical deck attachment

Albert,

Thanks for the additional information.

Ultimately, it is not even really an issue for the code official (at least
I don't think so).  From talking to someone at Pnuetek, I know that their
fasteners have been approved by Factory Mutual for a "class 1" fire
rating.  While I will admit I am not sure what that means (I can certainly
find out), I find it incredibly hard to believe that switching from puddle
welds to mechanical fasteners would actually effect the fire rating.
Frankly, I don't particularly blame the manufacturers of mechanical
fasteners for not wanting to pay UL big $$ to test them.

I believe ultimately that it comes down to whether or not the client wants
an UL number for the floor and roof assemblies.

Thanks again,

Scott Maxwell, PE, SE