RE: UL numbers for mechanical deck attachment

<snip> I find it incredibly hard to believe that switching from puddle
welds to mechanical fasteners would actually effect the fire rating.

It's easy to see how omitting insulation (or some other component with a
large surface area in the assembly) can effect radiant heat transfer and
the direction of heat transfer through the assembly and have the
potential to substantially influence the rating, but I generally agree
with you concerning welds versus fasteners and their effects.  Maybe the
fact that welding creates a somewhat homogeneous material between the
deck and supports (chemical and mechanical bond) has some influence on
performance relative to a mechanical bond only, but I wouldn't think so.

Albert J. Meyer, Jr., P.E.
Martin-Espenlaub Engineering