Re: fs ???

CLARIFICATION: This is more particularly seen in CONCRETE design. fc = 22,000
psi would make this roughly fy = 55,000 psi. (Assuming we still use fs = 0.4fy
for Gr. 50 and up).

Allowable stresses for steel are given various designations such as fb (bending)
fv (shear), etc.

And for the record, very few engineers are as old as Stan Caldwell.