From: Francisco Duarte <fduarte(--nospam--at)LEASUNG.COM>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2000 12:20 PM
Subject: wood screw replacing nails at shear walls

> HELP, HELP, HELP
> My client wants to use screws instead of nails for the shear walls.

Why?

I would not use screws for timber framed plywood shearwalls esp if you're
looking for ductility.  A lot (if not most) of a shearwall's ductility comes
from nail yielding....I would not depend on screws behaving the same way.

> Where can I get some information and shear values for screws to replace
the
> 8d nails. Is there a ICBO REPORT?

I suggest contacting APA.  I'm sure they have info on this.

regards
Bob Kazanjy