RE: prestressed piles

A good place to start is DFI.org.  Also there used to be a pile contractor
in Fontana, CA called Pile Foundation, Inc.  I don't know if they are still
in business, but they used to have quite a bit of design information for
prestressed piles.  I don't have a number or address, but at that time, I
know they were very helpful.

Bart Needham

     I could use the help of anyone who has experience designing prestressed

concrete piles. I need to design a 100 foot long pile to take 240 kips of
vertical load and 45 kips of horizontal load. The top 25 feet will be a
composite pile,  30" diameter drilled pier with conventional reinforcing and

the prestressed pile extending up through the composite length to the pile
cap.
The idea is to predrill the 30" section then drill a smaller hole for the
remaining 75 feet. The prestressed pile will then be driven and a rebar cage

lower around it for the first 25 feet. The soils engineer has given the 240
kip
load for a 14" diameter pile. The top 25 feet will take the 45 kip
horizontal
load.
     I have been reading about prestressed piles but the information I have
is
not  specific and none have any thing about a composite pile. As this
project
is to go for a review of the 100% package in three weeks time is important
me. Any help on references which include design examples of prestressed
piles
would be appreciative. Additionally any pitfalls on using pile splices would

also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Acie Chance

P.S.  Phone (562) 908-7411 ext. 2010