Lt Ga Metal Trusses

Mike,

AWS D1.1, "Structural Welding Code - Steel," applies only to metals 1/8" and
thicker (~ 10 ga.).  Welding thinner members requires compliance with AWS
D1.3, "Structural Welding Code - Sheet Steel."  If you are going to permit
welding to 16 ga., then you should include AWS D1.3 in your specifications
and make sure that the welders are qualified IAW AWS D1.3.

Hope this helps.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Mike Zaitz wrote:

>>On a related issue.  I don't think welding anything thinner than 16 ga.is
practical so that is the min ga I am planning on using.  However, how would
metal
deck be attached to the trusses?  Using TEK screws or welded same as to bar
joists?<<