Input with regard to section 1633.2.4

I am working with an one story existing building, where my client wants to
demolish some interior bearing walls .
I am planing to put beams and columns to pick up the  roof load. Now,  this
is not part of the seismic lateral system but according
to section 1633.2.4 "Deformation Comparability" I need to check the elemenst
and their connections to adequate maintain support of design dead load and
live load.
so what exactly does that mean? for example,
for the beam, I have gravity load and what? to check this deformation.
for the column, I have the gravity load coming form the beams ( AXIAL LOAD)
and what other load?
I do not understand how to set up my elements with what other forces. since
the elements are not part of the system then there is no lateral load
applied to any memeber.
I am really confuse about this subject? any comments or advice will be
appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Francisco Duarte, E.I.T.

               REACTION                     REACTION