RE: HSS to HSS moment connection

Ken,

Put a seat angle below the beam, make the welds that you can, air arc the
seat angle off, grind the spatter, and do the bottom weld.

For the weld itself, you could use a tack welded backer rod.  You can let
the root go to 0 for prequalified full pen welds.  Or you could use a
partial pen weld with a reinforcing fillet weld and not have to use a backer
rod at all.

If you have good welders, you could prequalify a pipe type weld (pipers, and
millwrights do these every day) with a stringer bead that works like a
backer bar.  You will have to get it tested in any event.  The trick is the
stringer bead.

Regards,
Harold Sprague