Re: HSS to HSS moment connection

Ken:

There are several reasons why HSS-to-HSS moment connections are not in the HSS
Manual.

1) Take a look at the complexity of the HSS Manual Chapter 5 W-shape to HSS
connections so that the thin walled HSS doesn't exceed one of the many limit
states.

2) Take a look at the HSS Manual Chapter 8 round HSS to round HSS truss
connections, and their design procedures in the HSS Specification.

In short, the connections end up being so large an inefficient, they have a high
probability of getting in the way of something else in the structure.

If I absolutely had to engineer an HSS-to-HSS moment connection, I would use an
end-plate moment connection.  I would weld a large plate to the side of the HSS
column, with bolt holes outboard of the HSS.  I would then weld a matching plate
onto the end of the HSS beam, with bolt holes outboard of the HSS.  If I can
come up with a geometry such that the bolt holes are outboard of both HSS enough
that they can be installed, I would then look at all the many possible limit
states.  I would likely end up with many large diameter bolts, thick end plates,
and lots of stiffeners extending in-line from the HSS side walls.

The resulting connection would be so remarkable, I would then paint it magenta
and fuschia, call it a sculpture, and blame it on the Architect.

Regards,

Rick Drake, SE
Fluor Daniel, Aliso Viejo, CA

Ken Peoples <lvtakp(--nospam--at)yahoo.com> on 07/18/2000 07:42:59 AM