Re: HSS to HSS moment connection

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next] Just off the cuff you could do the corner connection in the shop and provide just a portion of the beam. Sometimes refered to as a tree column. Add the beam to the beam stubs in the field with appropriate backer bars on appropriate members.

From: Ken Peoples <lvtakp(--nospam--at)yahoo.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: HSS to HSS moment connection
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 07:42:59 -0700 (PDT)

We do steel detailing and design so we see both ends
of the connection design.  On one of our current
detailing projects, we are being asked to come up with
a moment connection detail for a HSS10X10X1/2 beam to
a HSS10X10X3/8 column for an AESS condition (thats too
many SS's!).  No exposed plates or erection seats are
allowed.  We suggested using an internal seat angle
with a short (say 2" horiz leg) but since there are
tubes at both ends of the beam, the design engineer is
afraid of the difficulty getting the members in
(having to lean the column out to get the bottom
flange of the beam past) - which could be a valid
concern.  I have three questions:
1. What else can be done to make an erection seat fo
this type of connection?  Any e-mailed details would
be appreciated.
2. Do I shop weld a backer bar to the inside of the
tube to make full pen welds to?
3. Why isn't this situation covered in the HSS manual?
Thanks in advance for your comments
Ken Peoples, P.E.
lvta(--nospam--at)fast.net

http://mail.yahoo.com/