Air entrainment in concrete

Under another subject, Harold Sprague wrote:

> The only thing that I know for sure is that the ability to
> properly batch concrete, and do the mix submittal correctly is highly
> regional.  I have worked in areas where they add air-entraining in all
> concrete.  It plays hell for steel trowel finished concrete.

One word of caution when using ACI 301 as a reference specification: The
default requirement is that all concrete shall be air-entrained (in
Section 4.2.2.4). Per the "Optional Requirements Checklist", the specifier
must note where concrete is not to be air entrained (such as for steel
trowel finished surfaces).