HSS to HSS moment connection

Ken,

Another possible detail for this type of moment connection is provided in
the March 1993 issue of Modern Steel Construction, "Designing
Architecturally Exposed Steel Tubes".  Several details are listed, but the
one that I have recently used (see Figure 7 on page 37) consists of a
vertical plate at the HSS column, with a angled notch at the top of the
plate nearest the column.  The HSS beam has a small vertical plate on its
inside top flange which slides into place over the column plate notch.  For
erection concerns, a slot is provided in the bottom of the HSS beam aligning
with the column plate.  The column plate is then groove welded to the bottom
of the HSS beam at the slot.  For the moment connection, the top and bottom
flanges of the HSS beam may have bevel or fillet welds to the HSS column,
depending on load requirements.  The sides of the HSS beam are then fillet
welded to the HSS column for a more finished appearance.

Good luck,

Lamont R. Epp, EIT
Structural Engineering

DLR Group
400 Essex Court
Regency Park
Omaha, NE  68114-3778

tel 402-393-4100
fax 402-303-8747
lepp(--nospam--at)dlrgroup.com

Ken Peoples <lvtakp(--nospam--at)yahoo.com> on 07/18/2000 07:42:59 AM