Re: Steel Beam Reinforcing

Randy:

My usual first choice is a Tee (flange down) welded to the bottom flange
of the beam. The choice, however, is dependent upon.......

The amount of the overstress
The accessability to various locations on the beam
Clearances
Continuity of the beam
etc.

I do not recommend using rebar because of the welding problems. I have,
however, used rods and bars.

Don't forget to put only the DL in the original beam and then the LL in
the new composite reinforced section. Use VQ/I for the intermittent
welds and MQ/I for the end welds.

I think it makes sense to weld the reinforcement so it can develop its
full capacity.

Jim Kestner, P.E.
Green Bay, Wi.