From: Randy Diviney [mailto:rsdiviney(--nospam--at)hayeslarge.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 19, 2000 5:47 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Steel Beam Reinforcing

I have a few beams in an existing building that will be 40% overstressed
when new loading conditions are applied. I planned on using a channel
stitch welded to either side of the web to make up the difference in
required section modulus. The beams have adequate shear strength. I noticed
in our office standards book, we have a chart designed to reinforce beams
with rebar, welded to the top flanges.

My questions are:

1. Am I on the right track using channels?

2. Any better suggestions?

3. Any Internet sites or literature that deals with this?

4. Should I design the channel stitch welding for only the moment I expect
channels to carry

5. Will rebar really work?

TIA
Randy Diviney