Re: Steel Beam Reinforcing

Reinforce with Rebar?
I think there could be problems welding rebar to mild steel or for that matter
just welding rebar.  The metallurgical properties of rebar have a great chance
of getting all messed up. My advice: you already have a problem with an
overstress beam, don't give yourself a false sense of security by welding rebar.

Also,  stitch welding a channel on either side of the web is not enough. You
need to a certain amount of continous weld at the ends to ensure proper
composite action of the members and to accommodate your required horizontal
shear. The new composite section properties will only take care of the
additional future load, in other words, you need to prorate the stresses based
on the existing loads to the existing beam section properties plus the future
loads with respect to the composite beam properties.

I really question your office standard details. Be careful, it sounds like an
architect developed your standard details, not a registered structural engineer.

Good luck.

Nick.

"Randy Diviney" <rsdiviney(--nospam--at)hayeslarge.com> on 07/19/2000 07:47:21 AM