RE: Steel Beam Reinforcing

Harold,

Pardon me for having been so brusque.  (It is hot --- 108 yesterday; my
office A/C decided it was too hot to work, but I still have to.)  I had
assumed that Tide, et. al., and you were considering the plastic section, in
which case, the stress condition at each stage of loading would not be a
consideration, although the situation where the original shape would have
become completely plastic and the reinforcing still elastic should be very
interesting.

I will have to look at Tide's works.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Roger,

My fingers mis-spoke.  I too, do not design elements to yield.  What I meant
to say was design to a given stress represented as a percentage of yield
strength.  The whole point of Tides work was that you get a significant
amount of stress redistribution in a welded composite member resulting in
the strength predicated on the composite shape and is not predicated on the
initial elemental stresses.  The limitations are buckling and deflections.

Tide cites some interesting tests including a truss reinforced in the loaded
and unloaded condition.