RE: w/c ratio after concrete set

Roger,

I guess I've been in practice too long.  After a while, you see it all.

The statement is not entirely accurate.  The ready mix plant was not
unscrupulous, just lax.

The ash a given power plant produces is a function of the coal supplied to
that power plant.  As reported to me on a project several years ago a coal
fired power plant switched coal suppliers, and the previous ash was from
bituminous coal and produced F ash.  The power plants are looking for the
most economical cost of energy.  Fly ash is simply a byproduct.    The new
coal was subbituminous and produced C ash.  Somehow the stock piles got
mixed up, and the ash supplied to the ready mix plant was a C not the
specified F.  The paper work stated the ash was F.

For the particular application it was not a big deal.  If sulfate resistance
was in issue, it would have been a big deal.

In my statement, I was being generic.  It is possible to mix up fly ash at
any step.  That is why we test stock piles at the ready mix plant.

I had one occasion where the cement and flyash were mixed up.  After 24
hours the concrete had not set.  That one was ugly.

Regards,
Harold Sprague