From: Lutz,James [mailto:JLUTZ(--nospam--at)earthtech.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 19, 2000 10:10 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Wall Acting As Column

I need to support a concentrated load on a tapered concrete wall. 97 UBC
Section 1914.2.4 (ACI 318 Section 14.2.4) has a rule for determining the
effective horizontal length of wall to use based on bearing width plus four
times the wall thickness.

Question: What is the wall thickness I should use in a case like this?
Average? Minimum? Maximum? Weighted average?