Re: Roof Framing, Joist Spacing...Input please

Ghassem:

For spans less than about 60 feet, I use 1 1/2" deck and 6'-0" joist
spacings. For spans greater than 70 feet, I use 3" deck and 10'-0" joist
spacings. Where I have drifted, sliding and very heavy snow loads to
contend with, I tighten up the joist spacings.

The Architects like the wider spacings where we have exposed structures,
like gymnasiums, field houses or natatoriums. It looks good and the
mechanicals are easier to deal with. From an economy point of view, I
believe there is also some savings.

Jim Kestner, P.E.
Green Bay, Wi.