RE: Roof Framing, Joist Spacing...Input please

What you are doing is not radical..I have been designing steel frame
buildings in my area with beam spacings from 8 to 10 feet for at least the
last 10 years, including structures located in snow areas (used 16 ga deck).
I believe there is a cost savings at greater spacings- fewer beams to
fabricate and place, and the increase in deck cost is nominal.  Some
concerns are: any increase in building height and the corresponding increase
in the cost of exterior and interior finishes, which in some cases can
outweigh the structural costs of minimizing the depth of the structure; and
any reduced clearance between the ceiling and structure, which can
complicate the installation of the mechanical ductwork (this too can add
cost).