Re: Roof Framing, Joist Spacing...Input

Jimmie C wrote:

>>    <<  Down here we tend to joists from 5' to 6'-8" o.c. with 1.5
intermediate rib or
wide rib deck depending on joist spacing (this meets FM's 1-90).  >>

And how does one get by the Steel Deck Institute limitation of a max span of
5'-0" on 1 1/2" decks ?

Too many damn many "institutes" and "codes" all, seemingly conflicting.

Jimmy  C.......(hisself)<<

If an organization such as SDI, AISC, etc., puts a limit on use of their
product, I would consider that as positively, absolutely the maximum value
that can be used, and I would be very cautious even approaching that limit.
After all, these organizations exist to promote their product (read:
maximize sales) and I would assume that the limit was stretched to begin with.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona