Re: Roof Framing, Joist Spacing...Input

    <<  After all, these organizations exist to promote their product (read:
maximize sales) and I would assume that the limit was stretched to begin
with.  >>

I would agree with you on most promotional organizations, SDI being the
notable exception.  Vulcraft and other deck manufacturers publish load
tables based upon Fb and deflection criteria.  They will have another table
labled, "Maximum Construction Clear Spans (S.D.I. criteria)".  The SDI
criteria, being far more conservative, was certainly not developed to
promote the use of steel decks.  Vulcraft no longer even bothers to publish
the SDI span limitations on their roof decks as was done in earlier
editions.

Jimmy  C.......(hisself)