RE: Basketball Goals (again)

You may want to check the SEAINT web site, as this issue comes up from time
to time.  You need to press the manufacturer for the loads for which the
backboard supports have been designed.  2000 lbs. is probably high, but
remember this load applies in all directions.

Also remember that all basketball rims by rule must be the breakaway type,
at about 280 lbs.(it may be 240 lbs.)  While this helps with vertical loads,
it will not alleviate all the impact loading in the vertical downward
direction.

I have also found it useful to limit the deflection of the support structure
to l/1000.  This seems to eliminate any additional "bounciness" the system
may have.

Hope this helps,

Bart Needham

It seems that no replies came for this.  Randy sent me a direct email
because the
list server did not get his reply.  Please resend any comments any of y'all
had.

Mike

Hello

I have a basketball goal that is to hang from my roof trusses.  What is the
typical load due to a basketball goal?  What is the load combination?  I was
thinking of adding a 2,000 lbs. concentrated load due to the goal, supports
and
impact and adding with the D+L.  I have not received anything from the
manufacturer on it as of yet and I am trying to get a feel as to the impact
on
my
trusses.

TIA