Basketball Goals (again)

Mike,

I can't give you any definitive answer with regard to basketball goals, but a
number of years ago I had to analyze an automobile garage roof system for
lube reels.  IIRC, they weighed 75-100 pounds per reel and could be ganged
together.  In another project, I was asked to submit a proposal for analysis
of a bowling alley roof system to support automatic score displays that
weighed "only" 500 pounds each.  (I didn't get the project, so I don't know
what they really weighed.)

Maybe this will give you some (more) figures to mull about.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Michael Zaitz wrote:

>>I have a basketball goal that is to hang from my roof trusses.  What is the
typical load due to a basketball goal?  What is the load combination?  I was
thinking of adding a 2,000 lbs. concentrated load due to the goal, supports
and
impact and adding with the D+L.  I have not received anything from the
manufacturer on it as of yet and I am trying to get a feel as to the impact on
my
trusses.<<