RE: Steel Beam Reinforcing

Well maybe we need to look again at the original question.  If the existing
member was overstressed insitu, with no additional loading, then your view
point would be correct.  In that case, if the member was stressed well
beyond yield, it would probabley already have some plastic deformation and
would require fixing beyond simply strengthening.  I was assuming (remember
what assume means when you break it apart) that the overstress was a result
of new loads not yet added.  If so, then the entire section will contribute
to the ultimate capacity, regardless of the stress in the original member.

Brian