RE: Steel Beam Reinforcing

That's an EASY one. I'll take it.

Say the stress in the top (compression) flange of the existing beam due to
the original loads is 18 ksi which is less than the allowable but not good
enough for the additional loads. Now, you reinforce the beam and add loads.
You now do an analysis based on the additional loads only supported by the
reinforced section and add the differential stress to the original 18 ksi.
If the final stress is over the allowable (21.6 ksi or so), then you need
more reinforcement. Iterate until satisfactory.

Regards,

Bill Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
ALLEN DESIGNS
Laguna Niguel, CA