Re: Residential construction-hip beams

I think we simplify the hip and ridge beam design in residential engineering
because we don't have much else to base design on. If there were sufficient
evidence (other than hearsay) that actual loading to ridge and hips were a some
smaller percentage than full tributary area, I think we'd listen. Trouble is, we
don't have much else than our commonsense and practical experience to make a case
otherwise.

Other factors, in my opinion, which would lead to justification of lesser loading
to hip beams would be:
1.    plywood roof sheathing (and its ability to form deep beam segments).
2.    ceiling ties (at least partial)
3.    diaphragm size and top plate continuity.

Now valley beams..... that's the exact opposite problem and I tend to be
extremely conservative in loading there.

Barry H. Welliver