Re: Residential construction-hip beams

I do not do many wood roofs, but I get the feeling that people are
talking about 2 different things. Perhaps it is just terminology.

Ridge beams that are non structural where the rafters are aligned and
the compressive forces are opposing each other. Collar ties or ceiling
joists work here to resist the outward thrust.

Hip beams (usually on a diagonal) where rafters frame in at the same
location but do not align (they are at right angles to each other). I am
not sure that collar ties or ceiling joists work here to resist all of
the thrust, maybe only in one direction.  What about the other
direction?

How does wind uplift get resisted? Are the typical nailed connections
adequate?

Jim Kestner, P.E.
Green Bay, Wi.