Re: Metric Roof Slope

> From: "John MacLean" <john_maclean(--nospam--at)pomeroy.bc.ca>

> Paul Ransom wrote:
>
> <<x:10 or % (x:100)
> degrees are handy for the designer but useless for the site.>>
>
> My experience has been that metric roof slopes are specified as x:250 =
> although in Canada we still mostly see metric jobs with roof slope =
> specified as x:12 - go figure. I think the reason for using x:250 can be =
> traced back to the carpenter's framing square. The carpenter lays out =
> his cuts using x inches on one leg and 12 inches on the other or on a =
> metric framing square x mm on one leg and 250mm (about 10 inches) on the =
> other. 250 mm is about the right scale to do this sort of practical =
> work. 100 would be too small and 500 or 1000 would be too large.

Most of my building work is low slope where 1:10 is common and there
isn't a carpenter to be found on site, let alone a carpenter's rule.
Different industries, different standards.

I suspect that x:12 is still used due to industry inertia and the number
of imperial rules in toolkits.

--
Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International