Re: Steel Modulus and Strength

I know that. It doesn't make any difference as to the amount of
reinforcement one utilizes....

It does however make a difference when one is attempting to step out of the
cook-book code driven pseudo-design mentality, and truly wants to engineer a
structure...

I believe responses like that perpetuate the backwardness of
civil/structural engineering in relation to other disciplines.

It's like saying...we don't really know ...but it's close enough for
government work.....

It perpetuates the definition of structural engineering ... which
interestingly enough was removed from the SEAOC web site home page...that we
"design for forces we don't know.....utilizing materials whose behavior we
don't understand....etc...etc...etc...."

If anyone out there has a less condescending or simplistic answer, and truly
knows which value is closer to the actual value...please let me know...

jim

<73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com>