Use of weathering steel

In addition to being an engineer, I'm also a writer.  I'm working on an
article about COR-TEN steel in particular, but am interested in
discussion about weathering steel in general.  I am interested in
anyone's comments about:
*applications that COR-TEN (or other weathering steels) have done well in.
*applications that COR-TEN or other weathering steels have not done well
and why it didn't work out
*issues regarding bending, welding, forming, painting, etc.

I will cheerfully use your name and company to spread some good ink on
your behalf.  The publication is The Fabricator, by the Croyden Group.
(www.fmametalfab.org)  You can reply to me directly
(bkemper(--nospam--at)bigdogz.com) if you think the whole list isn't quite interested
in this topic.

So you know where I'm coming from: I do not have any personal experience
with this material.  I'm a mechanical engineer working in Louisiana and
Texas, primarily in industrial/manufacturing/fabrication/facility
arenas.  I've become more involved in structural issues, which is why I
recently joined this forum.  (In fact, I'm considering getting my
masters in Structural--anyone with an opinion on the value of such a
degree, please email me offlist).  While I am often involved with static
and rotating equipment design/analysis/troubleshooting, I also have
considerable expertise in computer modeling (FEA, CFD, linear/nonlinear,
composites such as concrete/rebar or laminates, etc.) and have been
called on to do more and more structural-related modeling, but I'm still
learning standard practices in structural work. So pitch a bit slow on
this, especially since the target audience is not structural engineers
as much as the fabricators and erectors.

Thanks in advance.

Bart Kemper, P.E.