RE: Seismic Design Provisions for Scaffolding ...

Peter,

In this country, we have not done well providing guidance for the design of
temporary support structures for the construction industry.  The only
document that we have is a proposed American Society of Civil Engineers
Standard (ASCE) "Design Loads on Structures During Construction".  The copy
I have is the December 1999 Draft copy.  I don't think that it has been
finalized yet.

The commentary indicated that the intent was to design for seismic using 20%
of the mapped accelerations.  The mapped accelerations at that time were
based on a 10% chance of exceedance in 50 years.  I presume that this will
be modified to some given percent of the 2% in 50 year event that is in the
1997 NEHRP Provisions.  The R value of the support structures was
established at 2.5.

The proposed standard contains some additional information, but I am
hesitant to report it until the standard is modified to reflect the newer
NEHRP Provisions and finalized by the standard committee.

Regards,
Harold Sprague