Re: Steel Modulus and Strength

>Since
>a lot of work is "over engineered", the cheaper stuff doesn't usually
>become apparent unless those "what if" situations we are required to
>design for (hurricanes, earthquakes, etc.) occur.
In other words,

>Then again, if the
>Titanic had been made with the specified plate, it wouldn't have sunk.
She was made with the specified plate. Back in 1911 they didn't know
enough about fracture toughness and steel production to provide toughness
levels that we learned about after about 100 years of brittle failures,
including the WWII Liberty ship failures. It's also fair to say that the
Titanic sank for a number of otherwise unrelated reasons, all of which
just came together one night. Too much speed, poorly equipped look-outs,
too few look-outs, watertight bulkheads that didn't extend the full
compartment height along with extensive hull fractures. All these
notwithstanding the number of deaths would have been far fewer if she'd
carried enough boats for everyone on board or the SS California had kept
a proper radio watch.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw