RE: connection of walls to diaphragm, CMU and Hollow Core Plank c o nstruction

The hooked bars, if in one piece, and already cast into the wall do make
it hard to place the plank, especially when they are each end of the
plank.  The better detail is to cast a dowel into the wall, that has a
standard hook in the pour strip adjacent to the end of the plank.  Run a
continuous bar (#4 or #5 down the pour strip) tied to the dowels.  Place
the plank.  Then place a second set of dowels with standard hooks one
end in the cells of the plank (or more often in the joints between
planks)  with the hook over the continuous bar.  That way dowels in the
wall and the dowels in the plank can be at different locations.  The
dowels in the plank are most often placed in the keyway between planks,
at 40" or 48" o.c. depending on the manufacturer of the plank.

That may all sound confusing.  If you e-mail me privately, I can send
you some AutoCAD files of some typical details that we use, and which
generally conform to details recommended by the precast plank
manufacturers.

Charles F. Espenlaub, III, P.E.
Martin-Espenlaub Engineering