RE: Use of weathering steel

Bart,

It has its limitations.
*	You won't find it in any literature, but it should never be embedded
in concrete.  It was tried as rebar many years ago, it did not work, it did
not get published.
*	It should not be near chlorides.  They tried it on Aloha Stadium,
and now have painted weathering steel.
*	It was tried on antenna tower structures, and resulted in a warning
by FHWA and is contained in the web sites below.
*	If exposed to any chlorides or contaminates, the connections should
be sealed, detailed per AASHTO, painted, and/or washed off periodically in a
maintenance program.  It is all spelled out in the literature in the web
sites below.
*	Avoid contact with galvanized steel.  Galvanic corrosion is the
issue.
*	A corrosion consultant, and or expert in weathering steel should be
consulted such as:
		John Barsom
		Consulting Limited
		1316 Murray Ave
		Suite 300
		Pittsburgh, PA 15217

		voice: (412) 521-5330
		fax: (412) 521-2699

Additional caveats are contained in the following web sites:
	http://www.steel.org/markets/infrastructure/bridges/weathrng.htm
	http://www.bethsteel.com/divisions/burns/bhweathstl.html
	http://www.recycle-steel.org/construction/ConPhaseIII.html
	http://www.milyn.com/praxis/application%20sheets/app_lighttower.htm

I know just enough to know that I don't know.

Regards,
Harold Sprague