RE: Use of weathering steel

I would say Michigan is another example of proof that weather steel should
not be used near chlorides.  I believe that Michigan used weather steel
for a ton of bridges in the past.  All the bridges with weathering steel
in Michigan have been a big mistake to my knowledge since we tend to salt
EVERYTHING at the slightest inkling of snow around here (salt is cheap
here with rather significant salt mines below Detroit).

Scott Maxwell, PE, SE